Flash News

Bota

US reveals Iran's plot to kill John Bolton

US reveals Iran's plot to kill John Bolton

The US Justice Department said it had uncovered an Iranian plot to kill former White House National Security Adviser John Bolton, and charged a member of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.

The Justice Department said 45-year-old Shahram Poursafi had offered to pay an individual in the United States $300,000 to kill Bolton, the former US ambassador to the United Nations.

The Justice Department said the plan was likely set in retaliation for the January 2020 killing of top Guard commander Qassem Soleimani in Iraq.

Iran dismissed the US accusations as "baseless".

"Iran strongly warns against any action against Iranian citizens under the pretext of these ridiculous and baseless accusations," Foreign Ministry spokesman Nasser Kanaani said, according to Iranian media.

The US claim came as Iran is discussing a proposed deal at the Vienna talks to revive the 2015 agreement aimed at preventing Tehran from developing nuclear weapons.

For months, Tehran has scrapped the deal, officially called the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), demanding that the United States drop its official designation of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps as a sponsor of terrorism.

FBI informant

According to the charges, Poursafi tried to arrange Bolton's assassination starting in October 2021, when he contacted an unidentified person in the United States online, initially saying he wanted to order photos of Bolton.

That person passed the Iranian on to another contact, who Poursafi then asked to kill Bolton. He offered $250,000, which was then negotiated down to $300,000.

But the second person, court documents say, was an informant for the US Federal Bureau of Investigation. The informant stalled, waiting for an initial payment, but it wasn't until the end of April that Poursafi sent money, paying in cryptocurrency.

Poursafi u akuzua për përdorimin e objekteve tregtare ndërshtetërore në kryerjen e vrasjes me pagesë, e cila dënohet deri në 10 vjet burg, dhe për ofrimin dhe përpjekjen për të ofruar mbështetje materiale për një komplot vrasjeje transnacionale, e cila mbart një dënim 15-vjeçar.

"Skifteri" i politikës së jashtme

Bolton, një nga "skifterët" kryesorë të establishmentit të politikës së jashtme amerikane dhe një kritik i fortë i Iranit, ishte këshilltar për sigurinë kombëtare në Shtëpinë e Bardhë të presidentit Donald Trump nga prilli 2018 deri në shtator 2019.

Në administratën e presidentit Xhorxh Bush, ai ishte ambasador në Kombet e Bashkuara nga 2005-2006.

Ai kundërshtoi fuqimisht JCPOA-n e vitit 2015 që vendoste kufizime në programin bërthamor të Iranit dhe mbështeti tërheqjen e njëanshme të administratës Trump nga pakti në maj 2018.

Dokumentet e gjykatës treguan se Bolton ishte në dijeni të komplotit dhe bashkëpunoi me hetuesit, duke lejuar që fotografitë e tij jashtë zyrës së tij në Uashington t'i dërgoheshin Poursafit.

Gjithashtu zbulon se Poursafi merrte inteligjencë mbi lëvizjet e Boltonit nga burime të tjera brenda Shteteve të Bashkuara.

Në mesazhet e koduara me informatorin, Poursafi zbuloi se komploti lidhej me dëshirën e Teheranit për hakmarrje për vrasjen e Soleimani nga SHBA.

Soleimani ishte kreu i Forcës Quds të Gardës Revolucionare të Iranit dhe mbajti personalisht rrjetin e saj të aleatëve dhe përfaqësuesve në të gjithë rajonin e Gjirit.

He was targeted by a US drone strike shortly after he landed at Baghdad airport on January 7, 2020.

Since that attack, Tehran has vowed to retaliate, increasing security for US officials, including Mike Pompeo, who was secretary of state at the time of Soleimani's killing and previously director of the Central Intelligence Agency.

In a statement, Bolton criticized Iran's government as "liars, terrorists and enemies of the United States" and urged President Joe Biden not to restore the nuclear deal.

The European Union, which is brokering the talks, said on Monday that a final deal had been delivered to the United States and Iran.

Source: Euroactiv

Latest news