Flash News

Bota

Zelensky vows that Ukraine will "resist" after new Russian attacks

Zelensky vows that Ukraine will "resist" after new Russian attacks

Ukraine faced another night of Russian bombing, with drones and missiles hitting civilian targets in the south and west of the country, Kiev's military said, as Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky vowed his country would "resist". despite continued Russian attacks.

Russia has recently intensified its attacks on Ukrainian power installations, causing extensive damage and raising fears in Ukraine of a repeat of the winter of 2022-2023, when the country faced major power cuts due to attacks. of Russia to energy infrastructure.

Ukraine's largest private power company, DTEK, said on March 30 that five of the firm's six power plants were damaged or destroyed, causing the loss of 80 percent of generation capacity. DTEK said that repairing the damage could take up to 18 months.

"Now, there is no night or day when Russian terror does not try to destroy our lives. Last night, they again fired rockets and Shahed drones at our people. But we will defend ourselves, we will resist, our spirit does not give up and I know that it is possible to avoid death. Life will win," Zeneksy wrote on March 31 on social networks.

Earlier on Sunday, the Ukrainian Air Force said Russia had fired 16 missiles and 11 drones at Ukraine overnight. They said they managed to destroy nine drones and nine missiles.

One person has been reported killed by Russian attacks on energy infrastructure in the Lviv region of western Ukraine, officials said.

Recent airstrikes have caused damage to energy infrastructure in the Odesa region and an agricultural building in the Kherson region. Eight Shahed drones were shot down in the Odesa region by Ukrainian air defenses, authorities said. Fragments of the downed drones caused a fire at a local power plant, causing power outages.

In the Kherson region, the Ukrainian military said an agricultural building was the target of Russian airstrikes, but no injuries were reported.

The latest Russian attacks come as news broke that Russian President Vladimir Putin has signed a decree for a regular spring campaign to recruit 150,000 citizens for compulsory military service, as Moscow's war against Kiev continues for the year. third in a row./ REL

Latest news