Vucic Confirms 20th Anniversary of NATO Bombing Will Be Commemorated with Parade in Nis

Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic has confirmed on Tuesday the earlier unofficial hints from the Serbian press that the twentieth anniversary of the NATO bombing of the then Yugoslavia will be commemorated on March 24 with a military and police parade in Nis.

“Twenty years have gone by since the NATO aggression on a sovereign country, which was not only carried out by dropping bombs from the sky but also by all other means – political and media, Vucic told Radio and Television of Serbia (RTS).

 At that time, Serbia certainly did not lead the smartest and wisest of policies, but in no way had it deserved to be aggressed by NATO and “to suffered such horrific casualties”, he declared.

“We will solemnly address the citizens, in dignity, during the evening hours, exactly on the date of the anniversary, in the city of Nis, which had been destroyed several times. It will be a state event and will include a prayer held by Patriarch [of the Serbian Orthodox Church] Irinej”, he said.

The prayer will be preceded by a military parade at which citizens will have the opportunity to see 1500 highly-trained special troops in action, equipped and dress by latest standards and between eight and ten MiG 29 and 19 new helicopters”, Vucic said.

“Serbia is boosting its strength, its security, and its safety. This is the pillar of further reinforcement of our country”, he said, inviting residents of Nis and citizens from other towns of that part of the country to “come and see their army” on that day.